Application, Deadlines, Revisions

What are ECTS-Points?

The ECTS point scale is a rating system for the extent of a module. In other words, it is useful to demonstrate the expected amount of work in order to complete the course. ECTS stands for European Credit Transfer System. An ECTS-Point corresponds to approximately 25-30 work hours, including lectures, as well as pre and post-lecture work. Students need to accomplish 25-30 ECTS-Points per semester. For the Bachelor degree, students need 180 points, and for the Master degree, an additional 120 points.


Which kinds of exams are there?

In the Bachelor and Master degrees, every module (course) is followed by an evaluation. In most cases, the exam will be graded (by written or oral examination), but there are also modules in which only non-graded services are to be provided (for example, the basic laboratory course with the completion of experiments or the computation methods in physics with participation). With the successfully passed module exam, students will obtain the corresponding ECTS-Points.

Some modules require a combination of two or more activities (graded and non-graded). In these cases, in order to pass the module, students have to successfully complete every required activity, except when otherwise stated, in the evaluation regulations or the module guide. The current exceptions are the Experimental Physics 1+2 Module (EP-1,2) and Mathematics for Physicists 1 (MP-1), which combine two written exams into one result. (see Credentials and Certificates).

The module exams are carried out according to the established module guide, which will be announced by the professor. In addition to the module exams, there is according to the examination regulations the fundamentals and orientation test, as well as the Bachelor and Master test (scroll down). These are not a separate major course assessment, but rather they are compounded by the passed modules.


What are the fundamentals and orientation tests (in German Grundlagen- und Orientierungsprüfung, GOP)?

The GOP indicates if the students will successfully complete their degree.

To pass the GOP, it is necessary to acquire at least 30 ECTS-Points from the current module, which in the examination regulations establish for the first two semesters at the latest, the 3rd semester (this excludes already the maximal overlay extraction period) ; among those are the Basic Laboratory Course 1 (GP-1), at least one module of Mathematics for Physicists 1 (MP-1), Mathematics for Physicists 2 (MP-2) and Theoretical Physics 1 (TP-1) (Physics), respectively Mathematics B1, Mathematics B2 and Theoretical Physics 1 (TP-1) (Material Physics). Key qualification modules don’t count for the GOP.

A module’s test that is included in the GOP, may only be repeated once, all others two times.



What are the Bachelor and Master exams?

Both of them are an accumulation toward the completion of the respective degree. They are not independent exams, but rather are composed similar to the GOP, out of the sum of modules. Which modules are necessary is established by the examination regulations. Please read the regulations that are relevant in each case §29 (Bachelor) and §35 (Master), not the course tables in the systems! The relevant information is also available on the websites for physics and materials physics studies.


What is the module guide and where can I find it?

With every module, there is a description in note form, including the responsible content, mediated competencies, coverage, and adaptation to the degree plan, and the test modalities that are integrated. The module guide can be generated from UnivIS : Lecture index → on the left box you will find the “Lectures and Modules index according to course of study”; Click on the selected topic, and then you will find on the left side the “Extras” box, where you can generate the wished module guide as a pdf.


When do the module tests take place, and who is the examiner?

In general, the module tests take place in the last week of the lecture period of the current semester and/or in the two first weeks of the lecture free period. The examiners are the correspondent professors of the module. The date for the oral test is approximately in the same period, and the students have to arrange a date with the professors.

In the physics Bachelor program (along with seminars and the Bachelor and Master colloquium) there are two modules, for which the oral test is established in the examination regulations. These are the Experimental Physics 3+4 (EP-34) and the Theoretical Physics Colloquium (TP-K). These tests take place in the last weeks of the lecture period of the current semester until the first weeks of the lecture period of the next semester.

Potential examiners are given below. (To make an appointment please contact the  desired examiner directly):

  1. For the Experimental Physics 3+4 (EP-34) module test, the professor of this module;
  2. For the Theoretical Physics Colloquium (TP-K), the professors of the Theoretical Physics Institute.


Do I have to register myself for the module test? How can I do it?

The registration for the test requires going online to meincampus. The test will be open to registration for a couple of weeks after the beginning of the lecture period. It is recommended to register oneself for the tests that one wishes to take. This makes the entering of grades for the professors somewhat easier and saves time for the (already overloaded) workers of the examination department. It is also a condition for ensuring that the meincampus performance summary is updated. A registration for an exam is not absolutely binding. (Note: This may not be the case for other modules or departments, be careful!)


What if the registration does not work or gets lost in the system?

There are multiple reasons why this can happen:

  • It can be that the test is not in the system yet.
  • It can be that the test is assigned to a different studies course (especially for non-physical electives) and therefore, there’s no access to it.
  •  The meincampus-System may have a vulnerability (in some cases are probably more bugs than features). Sometimes an already completed examination registration can be overwritten by new registrations or particular data can disappear.

In all of these cases: don’t panic! (scroll down). Please notify Frau Maerker, who will check the cause of the problem and in most of the cases, the solution is the same. According to your indication, they will then notify the corresponding professor and eventually the meincampus-support.



What to do when the test registration was not successful?

It doesn’t matter if you forgot, there was a system break down, or it was just not possible to register: You can still take the test, and the result will count. But the extra work can result in delays. What you can do is:

  1. Notify the professor (before the day of the test) and ask for the for the corresponding entry of the grade.
  2. After the test, verify that the grade was uploaded to meincampus; if it doesn’t appear after a period of four weeks, ask the professor.

Please consider: It will not be possible in this way to generate “free shots”. Failed exams are reported by the professors to the examination agency.


Can I de-register or cancel an exam?

Yes. The test registration in meincampus can be canceled, but you should not make this a habit to avoid that the system interprets your cancellation as an error. But also when this doesn’t happen, it is enough just not to come to the test date (this will be considered, according to the examination regulations, as a cancellation, from which there will not be a penalty for you). Please be aware: This only applies to the first try, not to the second (scroll down).

For the oral test, please notify the professor as early as possible.

A cancellation after the test has already begun is not possible. An exception would be if you suddenly get sick and can’t attend to test. In this case please get a certificate immediately and submit to the examination office.

Can I use the second chance exam as a first exam?

In general, this is possible, but the correspondent professor should be notified. You also carry the risk that in the case you don’t pass the exam, there can be delays, which cause a transgression of deadlines and force the end of the study.

For example, you want to include the theoretical physics module in the GOP (basic lab course) during the 2nd semester, and you take the second chance exam as the first try, which you don’t pass. Normally the next possible test repetition would be the regular closure exam of the next academic year, or at the end of your 4th semester, and therefore too late for the GOP. This delay was your fault (it is so established in the examination regulations) and therefore there’s no reason for a time extension. It is different when you take the regular closure exam and because of illness, you miss the test. In this case, always get a sick certificate!


Which regulations are valid for the second chance exam?

All non-passed exams can be repeated once. A second chance exam is possible in every module that will not be included in the GOP (scroll up). To repeat an exam, you are automatically registered to the next possible date. In this case, a non-attendee will be considered as “non-passed”.  The next possible exam date will be:

  • When you took the regular closure exam on the first try: the second chance exam will take place at the end of the lecture-free period. If a third and final chance exam is necessary, it can be taken in the regular closure exam of the following academic year.
  • When you took the second chance exam as the first try: the regular clausure exam at the end of the lecture-free period for the second chance exam and the corresponding second chance exam as the third and final chance exam.
  • In oral exams: in agreement with the professor, with a maximum of 6 months after the first try.

The regulation in §28 in the examination regulations “the second chance exam must be filed at the earliest possible date, which at the latest must be within six months of the course exam” is only valid after the participation in the first exam.

Please be aware that the second chance exam with fewer than 20 participants may be carried out as an oral exam at the request of the professor.



What happens, if I don’t pass the final chance exam?

If you don’t pass the final try in a module exam, then the module will be “ultimate not-passed”. There is no further opportunity to pass it. Depending on which module, there are different consequences. Some modules can be replaced with other modules (for example, in the physics Bachelor degree, out of the three modules of theoretical physics 2-4, only two must be completed). But there are some modules that for the GOP are completely necessary for the Bachelor certificate, and in case of not passing these modules, will result in the ending of the study. These modules are:

  1. For the GOP: Fundamental Lab Module 1 (GP-1)
  2. Additionally for the Bachelor exam:
  • Experimental physics course 1+2 (EP-12)
  • Experimental physics course 3+4 (EP-34)
  • Basic Lab Course 2 (GP-2)
  • Physical concepts in experiments 1 (PE-1)
  • Physical concepts in experiments 2 (PE-2)
  • Theoretical Physics 1 (TP-1)
  • Mathematics for physicists 1 (MP-1)
  • Theoretical physics colloquium (TP-K)
  • Bachelor Thesis (BA-1)
  • Bachelor Colloquium (BA-2)

If any of these modules or a combination of them are “ultimate not-passed”, and with this, the pass of the GOP or the Bachelor is not possible, this will result in the expulsion of the student from the physics course of study (but changing the course of study is still possible, for example, to material physics).

In the physics master degree, there aren’t any exams, that if you ultimately don’t pass them, will result in the ending of the study. However not passing multiple modules can result in a very difficult situation.

Due to a permanent health impairment, I am inherently at a disadvantage in the exams. What can I do?

A typical (but not the only) example is dyslexia. If you suffer from a health impairment like this, the examination committee will agree to grant an individually partial time compensation. With dyslexia, for example, on request to the examination committee, all written exams can be replaced by oral exams and the deadlines for the GOP, Bachelor, and Master exams could be extended. A medical specialist or psychological certificate is required in each case. It is ideal for you to have appropriate documentation from your former school available. Please contact, if necessary, with the relevant supporting documents, to the chairman of the examination committee. They will agree with you upon an individual time compensation, and write an official letter that certifies it.


Will this compensation be mentioned in credentials or certificates?

No, it will not.